The youngest of the MAGA coalition that helped return President Donald Trump to the White House is showing new signs of discontent — particularly over the administration’s handling of the war in Iran, rising gas prices and growing fears of another prolonged Middle East conflict.
Interviews with six chapter leaders of the youth conservative movement Turning Point USA in swing states revealed a striking level of frustration. In particular, many of them said the president’s approach to Iran has undercut one of the central promises that animated younger right-wing voters in 2024: no new wars.
“From a lot of my peers, especially in Gen Z right now, there is a lot of frustration and now, distrust, in our current administration over the decisions with the war in Iran,” said Rebekah Bushmire, vice president of the University of West Georgia’s Turning Point USA chapter. “A lot of people are seeing it as a betrayal. We were promised no new wars.”
None seemed particularly enthused at the prospect of Vice President JD Vance or Secretary of State Marco Rubio leading a post-Trump GOP. Some described growing interest among younger conservatives in figures like Tucker Carlson, whose anti-war posture has increasingly resonated with parts of the MAGA base frustrated by the administration's approach to Iran.
Disaffectation among young conservatives is a worrisome sign for the MAGA movement, who helped buoy Trump to victory in a second term. Trump captured some 46 percent of voters aged 18 to 29, up from 36 percent in 2020 according to the Tufts Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement.
White House spokesperson Olivia Wales defended the administration’s approach, arguing that Trump is fulfilling a core campaign promise by preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. She dismissed concerns driven by “fluid opinion polls.”
“President Trump is courageously protecting the United States from the deadly threat posed by the rogue Iranian regime – which past Presidents have talked about for 47 years, but only this President had the courage to address,” Wales said. “President Trump campaigned proudly on his promise to deny the Iranian regime the ability to develop a nuclear weapon, and he’s kept his promise. While the President has been clear about short-term disruptions as a result of Operation Epic Fury, the Administration is focused on implementing the proven Trump agenda of tax cuts, deregulation, and energy abundance to keep America on a solid economic trajectory.”
But for those interviewed, neutering Iran’s nuclear ambitions didn’t rise to the top of young conservatives’ concerns – certainly not as much as the war itself. And at least one of those interviewed said he was not convinced that Iran remains enough of a nuclear threat to continue the war.
Connor Darby, vice chair of a TPUSA chapter at the University of North Georgia, pointed out Trump’s comments about pre-war strikes having destroyed Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
“I thought that was accomplished,” Darby said. “If there is a nuclear weapon that us American citizens don’t know about it, put our life and security above our finances,” but that “at this current point in time, with the knowledge we have in front of us … no, the financial situation is what comes next. We have to pay for food and bills.”
Darby, who called the war “distasteful” to young voters, said “we don’t want to be back in the Middle East again fighting another forever war. … The goal is America first.”
Trump, last week, said his primary goal is keeping Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and that he did not take Americans’ financial hardship into consideration.
“Not even a little bit,” he said before departing for China.
A spokesperson for the national Turning Point USA organization did not respond to requests for comment.
Polls also show a significant generational split among the Republican voting bloc. A POLITICO/Public First poll conducted between April 11-14 found younger Trump voters are significantly more skeptical of the war in Iran than older Republicans. While 59 percent of Trump voters over 55 said they strongly supported the U.S. military action in the Middle East, just 28 percent of Trump voters ages 18 to 34 said the same.
Younger Trump voters were also far more likely to say the war ran against MAGA principles and that the U.S. should avoid additional American casualties even if it means leaving objectives in Iran unfinished, the POLITICO poll found.
The generational split has become especially visible in the online ecosystem shaping younger conservative politics, where distrust of foreign intervention and hostility toward the Republican establishment often blend together. Several of the student leaders described younger conservatives — particularly men — as increasingly influenced by media figures like Carlson and more fringe online personalities such as Nick Fuentes rather than elected Republicans or traditional conservative media. “Personally, I would say I trust Tucker Carlson’s approach — and everyone I’ve talked to, at least my age — is more anti-war, more on Carlson’s side than Trump’s side,” said Oliver Genovese, president of the Davidson College Turning Point USA chapter in North Carolina.
That gap appears especially pronounced on college campuses, where younger conservatives feel squeezed by rising costs of living such as gas prices and housing – while Washington focuses on another foreign conflict.
“The problem is, [for] a lot of young people … There’s a lot of problems that we have that aren’t being addressed by the administration, like the housing crisis,” said Darrius Singh, president of Penn State’s TPUSA chapter. “Gas, especially after the war, has become so bad.”
For many of the students interviewed, Carlson has become the clearest vessel for that worldview.
Bushmire said there is “absolutely” a path for Carlson to mount a serious 2028 campaign among younger conservatives if economic frustrations continue.
“I think it’s absolutely possible. 100 percent,” she said. “Because young people are struggling to afford housing and make money.”
Genovese went even further, arguing that Carlson could better channel the anti-war, anti-establishment energy that fueled Trump’s rise in 2016.
“If we wanted the same young turnout, I think Tucker Carlson would be a good option,” he said. “I don’t see a lot of young excitement particularly of [Vice President] JD Vance being the nominee.”
And despite frustration with the administration, most students interviewed by West Wing Playbook still saw Rubio and Vance as the top 2028 contenders among younger conservatives — though not without reservations.
And, all of the students interviewed called for an open Republican primary in 2028, rather than for Trump to hand pick a successor.
“I would want a genuine candidate,” Bushmire said. “I would rather vote for you for your word and your ideals, than the word of someone else.”

German (DE)
English (US)
Spanish (ES)
French (FR)
Hindi (IN)
Italian (IT)
Russian (RU) 




















Comments