The mayor of Chicago is planning to sign an executive order on Saturday outlining how the city will attempt to resist Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown, according to reports.
Brandon Johnson will set out guidance for the city’s agencies and law enforcement, CNN reported, “in the midst of escalating threats from the federal government”.
Last week, the White House requested that a US military base on the outskirts of Chicago be made available to assist with immigration operations, as the Trump administration plans a broader takeover of Democratic-run “sanctuary cities”.
Johnson’s order “affirms” that Chicago police will not “collaborate with federal agents on joint law enforcement patrols, arrest operations, or other law enforcement duties including civil immigration enforcement”, CNN reported.
It also says city departments should “pursue all available legal and legislative avenues to resist coordinated efforts from the federal government”.
On Thursday, Tom Homan, the administration’s “border czar”, said Chicago, along with a number of other cities, would soon be targeted in a planned immigration crackdown.
“Operations are ramping up across the country. But you can see a ramp-up across the operations in Chicago, absolutely,” Homan said.
In an interview with Fox News, Homan was asked if he wanted to give a message to Johnson. Homan responded: “Get out of the way, because we’re going to do it.”
NBC News reported that Ice, the border patrol and other agencies will send numerous agents and equipment to Chicago as soon as next week, in an attempt to increase arrests of undocumented immigrants.
The planned move comes weeks after the president deployed armed soldiers and military vehicles to patrol the streets of Washington, claiming, despite all available evidence, that the use of the national guard was necessary to control crime.
The Trump administration has been working on plans to send the national guard to Chicago, something Johnson and JB Pritzker, the governor of Illinois, have said would be an abuse of power.
after newsletter promotion
On Friday, Pritzker said such a move would amount to an “invasion”. He told CBS News that, should Trump send in the national guard, voters “should understand that he has other aims, other than fighting crime”.
Pritzker said those aims may be to “stop the elections in 2026 or, frankly, take control of those elections”.
The White House and Johnson’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Comments